Of Style And Grace
Once the last of the buffet plates have been cleared off the table and everyone was contented and chatting about old times, my handphone rang. It was this friend of mine. When I saw my friend's number up on my handphone, I felt slightly ashamed of myself. Reason being I had still not decided on the place which we were meeting up for lunch at 1.30 pm the next day. But that's me, always leaving things to the last minute and definitely not proud of it. I picked up the phone and this time really promised my friend that I will indeed choose a place.
Truth is I did indeed choose a place. I actually wanted to meet at American Club where my mum is a member. That place was just perfect I reckon for a late lunch. But the thing is my mum actually has to be there to sign me in so I was like, okay maybe not so convenient. So after a few drinks later and waiting for a bus at almost midnight on Friday night, I decided to not keep my friend waiting any longer lest I get the second call, maybe not so nice by that time. So I messaged this friend of mine a place to meet up the next day.
After the message was sent, a lot of things went through my mind. Knowing this friend of mine, deciding on a good place to eat was absolutely crucial, and me being me, will always be the person who never puts his guests in second place. After all, I was tasked with deciding the place, a very difficult task but not impossible. Was the place a bit too pricey? What if my friend doesn't like Italian? I could only just hope and pray for all the best the next day.
So Saturday came and my Dad brought me to People's Park to alter my newly bought jeans. And Dad being Dad always has to eat his lunch first or else as the saying goes, 'a hungry man is an angry man.' As he was sloshing down his bee hoon, I glanced at my watch nervously, 1.15pm. 'Hold on, let me go to the toilet first,' he rushed off to the toilet, sure to pay the old man at the toilet 10cents per entry. 1.20pm. At that time, my phone rang. My friend was there. I cursed my luck under my breath, this was one of the meetings which I couldn't afford to be late on. 1.25pm, we got into the car and sped off. 1.30pm, my feet touched the grounds of Esplanade and soon found my friend shortly after that.
Thankfully, lunch went really smoothly. We caught up on lots of stuff, on who is doing what and where on earth are they at this exact moment etc. Lunch was soon followed by desert. Of course, to all you Singaporeans, the most interesting part should be the bill. Yes and I'm not going to lie, the bill was indeed... 'beautiful'. I offered to pay everything but my friend just wouldn't let me. And boy did my friend not bat an eyelid at the amount on the bill. So in the end, we laid aside two blue notes and being a clown that I am, I stupidly kept the change, forgetting to give my friend half of it back.
But ultimately, out of this little things, I must say this friend of mine is very sporting and definitely has better etiquette than me. I should be ashamed of myself and with good reason too. God has certainly put people in this world with style and grace.
Truth is I did indeed choose a place. I actually wanted to meet at American Club where my mum is a member. That place was just perfect I reckon for a late lunch. But the thing is my mum actually has to be there to sign me in so I was like, okay maybe not so convenient. So after a few drinks later and waiting for a bus at almost midnight on Friday night, I decided to not keep my friend waiting any longer lest I get the second call, maybe not so nice by that time. So I messaged this friend of mine a place to meet up the next day.
After the message was sent, a lot of things went through my mind. Knowing this friend of mine, deciding on a good place to eat was absolutely crucial, and me being me, will always be the person who never puts his guests in second place. After all, I was tasked with deciding the place, a very difficult task but not impossible. Was the place a bit too pricey? What if my friend doesn't like Italian? I could only just hope and pray for all the best the next day.
So Saturday came and my Dad brought me to People's Park to alter my newly bought jeans. And Dad being Dad always has to eat his lunch first or else as the saying goes, 'a hungry man is an angry man.' As he was sloshing down his bee hoon, I glanced at my watch nervously, 1.15pm. 'Hold on, let me go to the toilet first,' he rushed off to the toilet, sure to pay the old man at the toilet 10cents per entry. 1.20pm. At that time, my phone rang. My friend was there. I cursed my luck under my breath, this was one of the meetings which I couldn't afford to be late on. 1.25pm, we got into the car and sped off. 1.30pm, my feet touched the grounds of Esplanade and soon found my friend shortly after that.
Thankfully, lunch went really smoothly. We caught up on lots of stuff, on who is doing what and where on earth are they at this exact moment etc. Lunch was soon followed by desert. Of course, to all you Singaporeans, the most interesting part should be the bill. Yes and I'm not going to lie, the bill was indeed... 'beautiful'. I offered to pay everything but my friend just wouldn't let me. And boy did my friend not bat an eyelid at the amount on the bill. So in the end, we laid aside two blue notes and being a clown that I am, I stupidly kept the change, forgetting to give my friend half of it back.
But ultimately, out of this little things, I must say this friend of mine is very sporting and definitely has better etiquette than me. I should be ashamed of myself and with good reason too. God has certainly put people in this world with style and grace.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home