Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Girl Who Inspires

Well, I hope this post will be one of my best of yet. I hope. There are two types of hardworking people in the world. The first type works hard to make the world a better place. The second works hard because he is driven by hatred for the world.

There are those that strive to be top of the world, to be rich and successful. Yet there are those that just wants to be free. Humans are generally greedy, the more you give them, the more they want. Yet, there are some who just are happy the way they are.

I've learned something important today. This lesson came from a girl who didn't even know that she was teaching me something. Prior to that, I've always looked at society at a particular way. I guess maybe it's the pace of Singaporean society that brought me up this way. But I have to admit I'm very competitive, I work hard because I want to surpass my family members and friends and of course to be remembered.

But this girl's view on life somehow caused me to think deeper than my shallow insights. Truth is I envy her, the world is lucky to have her type of personality. She believes in herself and will stick by her beliefs. I am the one that should be ashamed of myself, after all, when one lies on his/her death bed, what would one want to see before taking his/her final breath? Medals, awards? Or the people that he/she loves?

I remember this small incident involving this girl. It happened way back in late August. After this event when everyone was packing up, I was talking to her and she told me that she had stayed up late to prepare her teaching materials but due to time constrain, she didn't managed to get across what she wanted to share with everyone on that day itself. But she just shrugged it off. She let that go. I didn't.

I was faced with the similar situation one month later but on a bigger scale. Till now, every time I think about that incident, I still feel traces of anger burning within me. I still hate her for not doing anything but getting excellent marks. I wanted to show her that I had the bragging rights at the end of the day when all was done. Even so, I wasn't happy after I got what I wanted.. But most importantly, I was destroying myself from within because of this anger, I couldn't let it go even after all that has passed.

But now, this friend of mine has taught me that every single breath I take is a blessing in itself. Whether or not, society moves ahead or behind me, I should be thankful that I'm living. So here's to her for that lesson because she's the girl who inspires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home